The Confederation of Zonta Clubs was founded on November 8, 1919, in Buffalo, NY, and was comprised of nine clubs. Five of the nine clubs would become part of District 2.
Today, almost 100 years later, District 2 has grown from 5 clubs, to 19. The Zonta Clubs of Elmira, Syracuse, and Utica remain inspired “charter” clubs, continuing to serve their local and global communities.
The Confederation’s first convention was held in Syracuse, NY in May of 1921.
Zonta Clubs began forming in many parts of District 2:
The name “Confederation of Zonta Clubs” changed to “Zonta International” in 1930.
There was a lull in club growth until after World War II, when Ogdensburg joined us in 1945.
In the 1950’s we grew by two more clubs: Oswego (‘55) and Herkimer (’57).
The 70’s brought us two more clubs: Cortland (‘72) and Mid-Hudson Valley (’76), known as the Newburgh club until recently.
Montgomery-Fulton Counties joined in 1983, followed by Columbia/Greene Counties in 1984 and Canton Area Club in 1986.
During the 90’s, student clubs also began to form: Zonta Z Clubs (High School) Golden Z Clubs (College.)
No more clubs were added to District 2 until 2016, when the Zonta Club of Skaneateles was chartered.
District 2 holds an annual ½ day Fall seminar and Spring workshop for all district club members to network and build skills. Each biennium, all district club members are encouraged to attend a weekend district conference in the years without an International Convention. A representative of Zonta International attends the conference as well.
Presently, there are approximately 500 total members over the 19 clubs of the district.