On May 27, 1929, 15 women met to plan the organization of a Zonta Club in Albany, N.Y. On October 30, 1929, the first women’s service club in Albany officially became a Zonta Club, under the sponsorship of the Zonta Club of Schenectady, N.Y.
Eight markers at the entrances to the city of Albany welcoming people was the first project of the club. In the early years, Zontians worked with 4-H girls and helped to establish a Girls Week. During World War II, Zontians gave many hours of personal service. They served in the Air Raid Warning Centers helped issue ration books; acted as hostesses at the DAR Canteen, a drop-in center for soldiers from all over the world. With the coming of peace, the Albany Club packed and sent food boxes to fellow Zontians in England and Germany where food was still in short supply.
In the 1950’s Zontians raised funds to build a chapel at Memorial Hospital. This chapel still services as a sanctuary of peace at the Hospital and an annual memorial service is held for Zontians who have passed. A memorial service is held annually for Zontians who have passed. There was a fund established to provide awards to students in the schools for nurses in Albany.
In the 1960’s Zontians supported and contributed toward the formation of a Girls Club in Albany. Zontians volunteered their time and served on the Board of Directors continuously until the merger with Girls Inc.
Through volunteerism and fundraising activities Albany Zontians have benefited many local organizations that serve the homeless, victims of domestic violence, and those recovering from substance abuse.
In 2014, the Zonta Club of Albany celebrated 85 years of service to the communities of the Capital District.